Therapy for Children and the Adults in their Lives
David Shanks, LCSW, MBA, PLLC
My mission is to help people realize their full potential. I take great pride in the successes I have seen in my clients. I believe therapy is more than just listening. I take an active role in providing clients with effective tools for change. My goal is to help you identify and change stuck patterns of thought and feeling so that things can be different in your life.After graduating with a BA from Duke University I traveled solo across Africa and throughout Central and South America all the way to Tierra del Fuego. Along the way I studied and became fluent in Spanish. I initiated the rebuilding of a school in Antigua, Guatemala.
Later I studied Portuguese and spent a summer living with an indigenous tribe in the Northeast Brazil working on a project sponsored by the World Bank. I completed a Masters of Social Work at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and later a Masters of Business Administration through East Carolina University.
I spent several years applying my skills in the business setting working with a Raleigh consulting group and on my own. I ran over 500 weekly group therapy sessions for men involved in domestic violence in Alamance County. I currently enjoy meditation with the Chapel Hill Zen Center, hiking and backpacking, dancing, running, and working out.
Experience and qualifications
- BA, Duke University
- MSW, UNC Chapel Hill
- LCSW, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- MBA, East Carolina University
- Certification in Professional Mediation
- Neurolinguistic Programming Certification
- Institutional consultant formerly with Raleigh Consulting Group
- Domestic Violence Prevention Program with Alamance County Judicial Services, leading court ordered men’s groups
- Extensive Travel in Europe, Africa, Central and South America, Russia and Mongolia
- Fluent in Spanish and Portuguese